Documenting My Life

I've been thinking about scrapbooking a lot lately. Not scrapbooking products, but actual scrapbooking pages... I have a confession to make: I've been designing for over 2 years now and I have very little to show for it in the way of scrapping my own life. I love looking in the galleries and I religiously follow Allie Edwards, Cathy Zielske and Jessica Sprague, but as far as getting my own words and pictures on paper (or digital paper!) - I just haven't done it.

So... after looking at the boxes and boxes of old photos that I have and trying to decide just how I should go about this - I decided to take a class, actually I took two. One from Cathy Zielske (everyone can write a little) and one from Jessica Sprague.

One of the things that has kept me from scrapping is the quality of my photos. Don't get me wrong, I love all my old pictures but let's face it, photography has come a long way since 1984. As a designer, when I finish a kit I want a really fabulous picture to show it off. I have none of those in my boxes. What I do have are a lot of really memorable stories.

Armed with some very cool tips from Jessica Sprague - I finished my very first page. Rather than attempt to scrap all of my old pictures in chronological order ( I am just not that organized) I decided to randomly scrap whatever strikes my fancy. This first page was done because I am heading to the cabin for a girls weekend. I've been going to this cabin for over 30 years and in anticipation of the weekend, I dug out my old cabin pictures and came across this one of my son Jake. This was Jake's second trip to the cabin, his first was when he was only about 3 weeks old. For the photos I added a vintage touch by adding a sepia toned layer, desaturating the photo a little and putting a texture overlay on top. I then added a Through the Viewfinder frame I downloaded from Jessica's class. I love how the photos turned out - I think it hides the fact that these aren't great pictures to begin with. If you like the look, you can also purchase similar frames from Paisley Press (I own those too!)

As you can see, there is no journaling - I'm still not ready for that yet! ha ha ha...


And, for a little designer news, I have a new kit being released at The Digichick tomorrow - Click. It will be on sale for 20% off Thursday and if you're a newsletter subscriber you will be getting a coupon and a link for this brush pack freebie to go with the kit. If you haven't subscribed - it's not too late! Sign up now and I'll get your coupon to you asap! Below is a preview of the new kit and also a little eye candy from my fabulous CT!


It's a Freebie! click on the image and enjoy!

From Erica:


From Karen:

From Susan:


Have a great weekend!

Rebecca  – (September 12, 2009 at 1:13 PM)  

Kelley,

We would like to chat with you about future product design for our company Pink Paislee. (www.pinkpaislee.com) - Can you contact me at rebecca@pinkpaislee.com - I didn't see any other way to reach you here on your blog.

Hope to hear from you soon.
Rebecca

Post a Comment